• Laurie Felker Jones

Votes: 207
    Contest Over

How do I want to change the world? I want to help create unique experiences that inspire imaginations and create possibilities for others to “go for it” (whatever their “it” is)!

Expert Comments: After watching Laurie’s video submission I believe she is a triple threat and a strong contender for the position of Island Intern. (1) Her video proves that she knows how to stay on message. She touched on and addressed the different skill sets you want in an island intern. (2) Laurie claims her sense of adventure was ingrained in her since she’s been a child. The fact that she is on a sailboat heading to Panama leads to me to believe that Laurie is not only talk but very much action. (3) Laurie has strong advocacy skills as well as social media skills so, if chosen, I surmise she will have little trouble getting ‘her word’ out. – Evelyn Hannon, Journeywoman.com

Laurie is definitely a passionate and experienced traveler who cares a lot about the world around her. I would really like to have seen her a little more comfortable in her own skin and less rehearsed though, so we could really get to know her personality. – Kim Mance, Writer and Travel Show Host

Comments: Laurie is truly dedicated her life to cultural immersion and life-changing travel. We love her experience advocating for great causes and loved hearing about the trip that made her fall in love with Panama.

64 Responses

1. Jenni B says:

Laurie is an Amazing woman and would be the Perfect candidate for the Island Intern position. She and her Incredible husband Damon have inspired us fellow dreamers-travelers-activists to follow our hearts in all endeavors and make this life something Extraordinary!

• Laurie says:

Jenni! This is so lovely – and unexpected! We’re so lucky to have been able to visit with you and Todd as you prepared for your big sabbatical. Not to mention how great it was to re-connect upon “re-entry”. Y’all remain an inspiration to US! xoxo – L

2. Ed Fiedler says:

Laurie is smart, friendly, and passionate about making our world a better place. I think she would be perfect for this!

3. Heather Smith says:

Lori is an amazing woman. She is friendly, smart, charismatic, and inspiring! She would be the perfect addition to your resort.

Brenda,

Friend, I can’t thank you enough for all of your love, support an general amazing-ness over the years. You are one of my absolute favorites: an inspiration, a role model and just all-around super great woman.

I’m sending my very best now and always to you and Roger!

L

4. Mike Miller says:

Please pick Laurie! She is so talented and friendly. Definitely the right person for the job!

• Laurie says:

Mike! Thanks for taking the time to vote and recommend me! xoxo to you, Kate, Cassidy and sweet baby Cole – we can’t wait to meet him!

5. Look. no. further. Laurie is your intern,

• Laurie says:

Colleen – my booha. We’ll always have Amsterdam :) I’m so inspired and impressed by your work in Nepal. I dream of the day we’ll be in the same place and time again. My very best, L

6. [...] So, this all leads us to something really important which I mentioned briefly above (to all of those busy blog “skimmers”): the selection process for becoming an Island Intern is, in part, a CONTEST where YOU can VOTE for ME (sorry for yelling but I’m a little excited). I’ve been posting shameless-self-promotions on Facebook and even joined Twitter (swoon) prompting y’all to vote and really wanted to take my time here on the blog to give more of an explanation about Amble Resorts (“the company behind the contest”), the Island Intern contest and why I’m interested. But, all that aside, if you haven’t voted yet, DO IT NOW (please and thank you . Click here to vo…. [...]

7. Look. No. Further. Laurie IS your intern.

8. Jenny Harris says:

Laurie has the biggest heart of anyone I know. She is a great friend, an amazingly well traveled person, and so much fun to be around. She is opinionated without being a nag, funny, and overall just the best girl for the job.

9. Mytila says:

I couldn’t think of anyone better for the position. Laurie has and always will be someone I know, love, and trust. Look no further, because your intern is right here!

10. Mytila says:

Laurie is someone I will always know, love, and trust. Look no further, your intern is right here!!

11. [...] We’ve been excited to let everyone know about Amble Resorts and the possibility that I could b…. [...]

12. Rosanne says:

I voted, you go girl.

• Laurie says:

Thanks, Roseanne! I’ve been following CADW and it looks like y’all have been plenty busy, awww, Texas politics :) Keep up the great work!

13. Laurie Felker Jones is the recommended candidate for this Island promotion position. You will be pleased with her resourceful, intelligence and creativity. Regardless of the promotional project, Laurie brings enthusiasm and marketing savvy to reach the project/business goals. References available. Saludos!

• Laurie says:

Thank you, Cathy! I’ll never forget your hospitality, hosting my first-ever house party for choice almost 10 years ago! And, all of the great songs of solidarity you’ve shared with me over the years. All the best to you!

14. Mary and Carl says:

We’ve been amazed watching Laurie and her husband make their dreams come true with great speed and phenomenal attitude and determination. They fell in love with the cruising life and in snap snap snap fashion, they have made themselves into cruisers, learning, experiencing, savoring, sharing, and embracing every facet of this challenging and fabulous lifestyle. No doubt Laurie use the same approach in accomplishing your goals. She will be an asset to your project and will make you proud, as we are, to call her friend!

• Laurie says:

Thanks, Mary! You and Carl gave us such a warm welcome to Camrykaland and to cruising – must be why we have made it so far so fast. We have been dreaming about rolling up in Dolphin Bay and can’t wait!

15. I tried to vote for you many times and always get an error message. I’m not the only one, evidently. I hate that their site is not working consistently!
      I also hope they read your writing and your resume and take THAT into consideration, not just votes on their web site….

Susan

• Laurie says:

Thank you, Susan! I appreciate your efforts and tenacity! And, I’m so sorry it’s been frustrating – no doubt for everyone involved. They do take 5 contestants with the top votes and 5 “judges” choice contestants into the next round. Perhaps they’ll even count some of these comments as “votes” for those who had trouble :)

It was great to meet up in Florida and I look forward to seeing you in the Islands sometime soon!

16. Perla C says:

Love it! You are my hero and inspiration! Vote for Laurie!!!!

17. Littlefield says:

Voted!

18. Rebekah says:

Laurie would be an amazing person for the intern position. She has always been someone who has inspired me to try new things and reach outside my confort zone to accomplish the things I want and believe in.

• Laurie says:

Thanks, Rebekah! I really appreciate your comments and our friendship over the last 15 years! You, lovely lady, are wonderful and I love you! my best to you, Uriah and Noah!

19. Bob Warneke says:

Laurie was quite helpful with fundraising advice she gave to Rainforest Partnership, an Austin-based NGO that I helped found. She has great experience that would lend themselves nicely to serving as your intern.

• Laurie says:

Thanks, Bob! It was my pleasure to help Rainforest Partnership – such a great organization! Anytime y’all need anything, I’m happy to help. I hope to put my skills to work for Amble, too, and I hope Jean and JB Journeys will add Amble to their list of vendors in Central America . . .

20. Tony Anderson says:

You know the old saying, ” people make the place. ” Well Laurie will help make your place the kind of resort everybody would like to be and want to go, and want to come back to, because Laurie puts herself on the other side of the table and thinks, what would I want and how would I like to be treated? It’s because she’s a winner and a natural born leader and she’s more than fair. Laurie helps us all see how we can reach our greatest potentials to be winners and leaders and make whatever environment we choose to call home a great place to be.

• Laurie says:

Oh, Tony! You are the best! I can’t believe (well, actually I totally can) that you are now living in New Zealand and can’t wait to come visit sometime (soon!). xoxoxo to you!

21. Jacqulyn Sallis says:

Any organization would be lucky to have Laurie on board. She inspires me to live life full out and think outside my self-imposed box. The world is large and so is her heart and spirit. She and Damon are some of my favorite people, and I know quite a few young and old. Great video!

• Laurie says:

Jackie – thank you! Having you, have me, as a friend is the highest compliment I could ask for. I know I’ve done something(s) right. We listen to your songs all the time on the boat and it’s been a real gift to see you in person while I’m home this visit. All my love, L

22. I have known Laurie for 9 years and count myself a lucky person to be her friend. Beyond her obvious intelligence, compassion, fire and brilliance, she has that rare combination of integrity, inclusivity and inspiration. Her ability to mobilise people to not only do the right thing, but understand the bigger picture is unique in my experience. I have worked all over the world, auditing Fortune 500 companies for sustainability, environmental and quality management and green standards, so have interacted with a wide range of people. Laurie is a born leader and a born inspirer. She calls upon people to follow their true self and true passions. Isla Palenque are lucky to have her as a contestant and would transform their resort with her as an intern!

• Laurie says:

Michele, thank you so much. I’ve learned so much about sustainability and ecology from you. I’m so happy you’re in your dream job and look forward to having you down to share in mine sometime soon!

23. LeeAnn says:

I have known Laurie for over six years, since I was an intern at the non-profit where she worked in Austin, TX. She has truly been an inspiration to me. She has helped shaped the woman I have become. Laurie Felker Jones is an amazing, motivated, positive, warm woman, friend, sailor, feminist, cook, partner, and human being. I can’t think of anyone else I coul recommend more highly for this internship.

• Laurie says:

LeAnn! How fun has it been to meet in Austin, meet again in New York and keep in touch all these years! I’m so happy for you and really appreciate your rec! best, L

24. nancy mims says:

I’ve had the pleasure of working with Laurie and have remained in awe of her infectious enthusiasm, endless energy, bravery, intelligence and creativity. GO LAURIE!

• Laurie says:

Thanks, Nancy! I’m lucky to have such great friends and “life mentors” in you and Rodney. I can’t believe it was over 10 years ago when I was just leaving the big adventure of college, heading out on a roadtrip around the US and you guys helped me on my way with a few extra dollars in my pocket from hanging with Clara. How time flies!

25. Lori says:

Cheering you on! You are so awesome!!

• Laurie says:

We’ve come a long way from Laredo, haven’t we Lori!?! I’m sad to know you’re leaving Texas, but knowing we’ll both come home to roost from time to time, I’ll be eagerly looking forward to the time we’re in the same place again. Thank you for the kind words and congrats on the engagement! xoxo – L

26. Adams says:

I’ve known Laurie for over a decade. Laurie is a remarkable person, and she will excel as your Island Intern. She has been a dedicated inspirer and activist for many years. Her work included interacting on a regular basis with state government elected officials and everyday folk. She is a powerful communicator and representative — in all her interactions.

As a professional working on the Island Nations Initiative, I know that Laurie will be a great asset in your specific line of work. As a friend and colleague, I know she will greatly exceed your expectations.

• Laurie says:

Adams, It’s been my pleasure to be your friend for the last 10 years and watch all you do. I’m continually blown away by the amazing landscapes you create and I can’t wait to have one of your Bio Top pools if I’m ever a landlubber again. Always my very best – L

27. Kirsten G. says:

Please put my vote down for Laurie. She is an amazing woman with a huge heart and a ton of courage. Her willingness to follow her passion and create her own life adventure is an inspiration to all her friends back in Texas.

Laurie would make a phenomenal Island Intern.

• Laurie says:

Kirsten – we still have not traded stories about our Belize trips! I can’t wait to learn of all the great places you visited and add them to my list for next time. I’m sure Austin misses you, but Houston surely gained a ton with your move. Thank you so much for your kind words. I’ll see in the Islands sometime soon :)

28. Katherine H. says:

Yes! Pick Laurie! She will do a fantastic job as the Island Intern. She is creative, determined, and keeps everyone around her in good spirits.

• Laurie says:

Katherine! Go UConn! I so miss rabble-rousing with you and all the gals. But, just know that when y’all need a refreshing place to re-charge your batteries, I got you covered! Best! -L

29. Harmony says:

Laurie is one of the most kind, dedicated, intelligent, passionate and fabulous women I’ve ever met. Not only is she the GSD Queen (that’s Get Stuff Done for those not in the know), but she can make ANYONE feel valued, capable, worthwhile and happy.

Whatever Laurie puts her mind to, she can do. Whether she is running an aggressive campaign, or inspiring other people to follow their hearts, Laurie lives life fully. We sure do miss her here in Texas, but we love seeing her share that big Texas heart with the rest of the world.

If you have the chance to work with Laurie, run for it. She is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Everything she touches is better for it.

• Laurie says:

Harmony – this is an amazing compliment coming from you! From one GSD queen to another, my sincerest thanks for the rec! And, thanks a ton for all you do to grow young women’s leadership in Texas!

30. Steve R. says:

I can’t think of a more perfect person for this position. Laurie is an incredible motivator and organizer. She has the amazing ability to make everyone feel comfortable while accomplishing complex tasks. Laurie is someone we all admire because she is a true “go-getter” by nature! I would welcome her to any work team without question; and wish her the best of luck in this contest.

• Laurie says:

Steve! I can’t believe it’s been THREE years since we last worked together on Perla’s race. You were such an asset to the team! Now, as I work on my own website, I have such a renewed appreciation for all things SEO ;) Thank you for everything!

31. Emily Bessey says:

I HIGHLY recommend Laurie Felker Jones for your internship program. She is inspiring, motivating, and truly someone who changes the world! There are many of us back in Texas that are living vicariously through her adventures. I believe she would be an incredible asset to your program.
      Best,
      Emily Bessey

• Laurie says:

Emily! Texas will miss the Bessey’s when you move back up North. But, I’m so glad we’ll continue to stay in touch. I can’t wait to meet your little boy when he arrives! best, L

32. Patricia Kiehne says:

Laurie is my niece so I am just a little prejudice…with that said. I would like to recommend her for the intern position. An intelligent very sociable young lady with the additional marvelous ability to be creative and through in what ever she does.
      Tricia Kiehne (Aunt Tricia)

• Laurie says:

Aunt Tricia! You all have been so wonderful! The Exuma book has been so helpful and it’s nice to have y’all “with us” along the way. xoxoxo to you and Jerry!

33. Annabelle says:

Laurie is a likeable and charming person. She is an exceptional example of someone who is self-aware, has positive insights and is practical and action-oriented in everything she endeavors to accomplish. Her demeanor and people skills make her a formidable competitor in your contest. Successful collaboration with Laurie would significantly impact your own mission and goals in a positive way. You won’t regret giving her a chance over someone who may have more numbers but fewer skillsets to help you accomplish your intent with this contest. The added value she brings to your organizations cannot be understated and will be the asset that you most treasure and take to the bank. Her preparation is ready to meet your challenge.

34. Sara S. Cleveland says:

As someone who has traveled (not been a tourist) to 35+ countries, who fits your target marketing demographic, and who has been considering a trip to Panama for sometime now, I can vouch for the fact that Laurie would be a perfect choice! I love young interns and manage 5-7 of them myself during each semester in my role as Executive Director of a non-profit, however there’s a lot to be said for hearing what’s going on from someone closer to my own age. I still climb rocks, deep-sea dive, and jump out of the occasional airplane, but there’s a certain validity, trust-worthiness, and level of comfort that comes from seeing a peer participate in these activities that shows me that where she is, is where I want to be next.

I supervised Laurie professionally for a number of years and I can vouch for her dedication, maturity, tireless work ethic, and absolute passion for getting the job done right. I know that, should you choose her, you will be thrilled with your choice!

Best,